Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Day with Rebekah of ArtistBeeBee


I was so honoured this week to be taken into Rebekah of AristBeeBee’s world and to find out all there is to know about her, her shop and her craft in Crochet and design.




www.etsy.com/shop/ArtistBeeBee


A Short Bio on Rebekah of ArtistBeeBee

Rebekah grew up in Houston, TX and ever since she could remember, She loved artsy crafty stuff.

course when you’re young it's just crayons and coloring books and maybe some craft projects that you do in church or school.”

It wasn't until her early teens that she really got into art, Her Mother realized she had some talent in drawing and signed her up for art classes which she took until she graduated high school.
It's been twelve years since she graduated and in that time she has realized that while she may have a lot of talent drawing, she doesn’t like it!
A little over a year ago a friend of Rebekah’s introduced her to Etsy, She had just learned to make dish scrubbies and thought they would be a great thing to sell.  Since then she has discovered her passion for crochet.






When asked how creating made her feel, Rebekah replied:

a very soothing thing for me to just sit and crochet all day. I absolutely love it, it makes me happy!”


My Interview with Rebekah

Rebekah, when did you first discover your talent and passion for Crochet? What is your approach to design and how would you characterize your work?

“I don't think I have an approach to design. When it comes to making my dish scrubbies I'll just have a thought about what I want to do and do it.  Then again it's not a complex process making dish scrubbies.”
With the rest of my crochet items I'm still new enough to the craft that I use patterns on everything I make.  Someday when I'm more advanced and know more I hope to create my own patterns.”

Tell us about some of your work? How would you describe your style?

"I just finished a brand new item for my store; it's an owl poncho for 2 to 4 year olds.  I'm super excited about it mostly cause it's adorable and partly cause it's the most complex project I've ever crocheted.  I don't really know what my style is.  I like colorful things and I like pretty things.  Pretty much if it strikes my fancy I make it.”

http://www.etsy.com/listing/108297828/crochet-owl-poncho-2-4-year-old-size





Rebekah, Give us a visual of your workspace?

“A visual of my workspace hmm...well I get up and make the bed then I gather what I want to work on for the day and sit in the middle of the bed and watch tv and craft.  Very professional I'm sure lol.  Though whenever I need sunshine and fresh air, I sit on the front porch and craft.”

How many hours a day or week do you crochet or spend time on your shop?

“Lol, I have a confession, I'm an Etsy addict.  When I get up I get on Etsy for about 2 to 3 hours and then I get on and check it every hour or so during the day.  In between my Etsy fixes I crochet, I do this until my husband comes home.  I'd say on average I spend 8 to 10 hours a day Etsying and crocheting.”




  


How has your experience been on Etsy?


“Very positive! Etsy is full of super talented and kind people.”



How have you handled the business side of being an artist and shop owner? What’s the hardest part of being an artist or shop owner?



“I'd say the hardest part for me is keeping track of my expenses.  Doing the book keeping brings you down from the heights of creativity to the reality of whether or not you can afford that beautiful yarn.”



What has been your most exciting moment as an artist here on Etsy?

“The absolutely most exciting moment was when I sold my very first order.  That's when I realized that I could do this and make it work.  I started putting a lot more time and effort in my shop after that.”



Who or what has had the greatest influence on you, your vision for your shop or as an artist? What inspires you to keep going and how do you keep yourself motivated?


My husband is a pretty big influence, but not on my work he really doesn't have an opinion there lol.  He's just very encouraging and super supportive.
My absolute love for crochet, keeps me going and motivated, that and all the gorgeous patterns I find on Etsy. I find a new pattern and I just have to make it!”


Rebekah, What are your goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“I hope to still be on Etsy selling my items. I don't plan very far in advance though.  Things change so fast and everything that you plan just goes by the wayside.  You just have to be open to what God has planned for you.”



What advice do you have for new Etsy shop owners?


“Be patient I think would be the best advice, oh and take good photos of your items.  I've seen so many things that look like they might be cute but the photos of it are not good; it just turns off a buyer I think.  First impression is the picture, that's what makes you click on a listing.  You can have all the best items and really good descriptions but if you don't have a great photo to pull the customer in they won't see it”





I would like to thank Rebekah for taking time out her busy schedule and creativity time to share with us!!

I am sure that there are many many of us that are Etsy Addicts too, Rebekah, You are not alone there ;)






Please also LIKE Rebakah’s shop Page on Facebook


And follow her on  Pinterest




By: Ash of AntiqueAlchemy
Serenity Team on Etsy



No comments:

Post a Comment